Home / Tools for Families
Tools for Families
There are many tools available that parents can employ to guide their children to safe and rewarding online experiences. There are also many different types of tools that may fit your family's needs and values. There are a lot to choose from. Here are some tips for choosing the tool or tools that are right for your family.
First: Try these popular tool searches.
There are several types of tools that are most searched for by GetNetWise users. Below, are some predefined searches for tools that users ask for most often. Search for tools that ...
- Filter sexually explicit graphic descriptions or images: These tools block your child from viewing most sexually explicit material on the Web. But be aware, no filter is perfect.
- Monitor your child's online activities: These tools allow parents and caregivers the ability to monitor your child's online activities through a variety of methods.
- Limits the amount of time your child spends online: These tools can limit the amount time you child spends online. Some tools allow parents to block out times of the day when the child can or cannot go online.
- Block the child's personal information from being posted or emailed: These tools prevent a child from giving strangers their personal information (e.g. name, home address, etc.) while they are online.
- Browsers for kids: These are Web browsers that serve as a gateway between your computer and the Internet. Browsers for kids generally filter sexual or otherwise inappropriate words or images. They are often designed to be easier for kids to use.
Second: Query the full tools database.
You can enter your own search terms in the GetNetWise Tools for Families database. The database allows you to tailor your search with many variables such as specific operating systems (e.g. mac, windows, linux), types of content (e.g. sexually explicit, hate, violent), and type of technology (e.g. Web, instant messaging, peer-to-peer). You'll be surprised at how many choices there are. See below.
Find Tools for Your Family
|Or check the box(es) next to the functions you want.|
|What the tool does:|
Browsers for Kids
Blocks Outgoing Info
Pre-Selected Content Service
Peer to Peer Networks
Mac OS X
Limit my search to filtered ISPs only.
Limit my search to kid-oriented search engines only.
Third: Check with your ISP or online service provider.
Chances are that your ISP or online service provider offers tools that you can use to protect your children while they are online. Most ISPs offer discounted rates for child safety software and some online service providers provide child safety features as part of the service. Check with your ISP to see what options and recommendations they provide. Here is a list of some of the child safety tools offered by responsible ISPs. Child Safety Options from Leading ISPs.